常用的日常英語情景口語
不管是在地鐵上,還是在家裡,或是洗衣做飯,睡前等等,把握好時間空檔,可以多聽原聲錄音,國外政客的演講錄音就非常不錯,抑揚頓挫非常地道且富有激情,今天小編就給大家來分享英語口語,僅供參考哦
Life in the Artic 北極圈的生活
Todd: So, Abidemi, you were talking about living with the Inuits in Northern Canada. What were some things that they do differently, like for example food or games or traditions?
託德:阿比德米,你說過你在加拿大北部和因紐特人一起生活過。他們的生活有什麼不同?比如,他們的食物、遊戲或傳統有什麼不同之處?
Abidemi: Food was a big thing that was different there. They eat a lot of meat, I could say, if I can say that from the sea, so because they're surrounded by the sea, they have access to a lot of food from there. They eat beluga, seal, whales. Anything that's found in the sea I think they basically eat it, and they eat just about all the parts of the animal, so that was quite interesting.
阿比德米:食物是最大的不同。他們吃很多肉,如果可以這樣說的話,他們吃很多海洋動物,因為他們環海,他們能從海里獲得很多食物。他們吃白鯨、海豹、鯨魚等。我認為,凡是在海里能找到的食物,他們都吃,他們會把動物身上所有的部分都吃掉,那真的很不可思議。
Todd: That's so interesting. What does it taste like, seal and whale?
託德:那太不可思議了。那海豹和鯨魚的味道如何?
Abidemi: Very ...?
阿比德米:非常……
Todd: Is it cooked?
託德:是經過烹飪後食用吧?
Abidemi: Sometimes they cook it, yeah. They also freeze it. They have different ways of preparing it. Sometimes to do eat it raw. They say that is the best way to eat it to get the most amount of energy from it, and sometimes they freeze it, and they eat it frozen. They eat a lot of fish, frozen fish like that. Attic char - delicious, and sometimes they boil it, but I don't think that's their preferred method of eating it. One thing to note is that the younger generation, they seem to prefer more the meat - beef - and the meat that more of everybody eats now, whereas the older generation, of course, they still prefer their traditional way of cooking and eating. Also, they eat caribou, like land animals, caribou, rabbit and one or two other animals that I can't remember.
阿比德米:有時他們會烹製一下。他們還會把這些動物的肉凍起來。他們有很多種食用方法。有時他們直接生吃。他們認為那是最佳食用方法,這樣可以得到最多的能量,有時他們會把肉凍起來,吃冷凍的肉。他們經常吃凍魚。紅點鮭魚非常好吃,有時他們會煮著吃,不過我認為他們並不喜歡煮著吃。值得注意的一件事是,年輕一代似乎更喜歡人們常吃的肉,比如牛肉,而老一輩人依然喜歡傳統的烹飪方法和飲食。另外,他們還吃北美馴鹿、兔子等陸地動物,可能還有其他動物,不過我不記得了。
Todd: Now did you try all these foods?
託德:那些食物你都嘗過嗎?
Abidemi: I tried as many as I could. I love eating, and if everyone else is eating it, I'll eat it too, so I try them all. I have my, the ones I like more, but I didn't find anything disgusting. I enjoyed it.
阿比德米:我儘量去嘗試。我喜歡美食,如果其他人吃,那我也會吃,所以那些我都吃過。我有偏愛的食物,不過沒有我認為噁心的食物。我很享受。
Todd: That's so cool. Did you learn how to prepare it or cook some of it?
託德:那太酷了。你學會如何準備或烹飪那些食物了嗎?
Abidemi: No. I'm laughing because I'm not a huge cook anywhere, so I just do the eating and cleaning up.
阿比德米:沒有。我笑的意思是,無論在哪裡,我都不擅長烹飪,所以我只負責吃和清潔。
Todd: Yeah, OK cool. You mentioned that they played some games. They have their own style of games. Do you remember any games that they play?
託德:好,真酷。你之前提到過他們玩的一些遊戲。他們有自己的遊戲方式。你還記得他們玩的遊戲嗎?
Abidemi: They have games, where one was like wrestling. They have a lot of body contact games where they would wrestle on the ground, or you had to hold up your leg a certain way for how many minutes, just really games that had to deal with strength and endurance is what I would say, and then they played a lot of games using dice where you would win prizes. I think a lot of these things were designed for the long winter months, so they could stay indoors and still keep themselves entertained, and because in those days, in the past they didn't have TV or have the kind of entertainment, Internet, which they do have there now, so they have a lot of games that they still try to play sometimes to keep them entertained. And music is a large part of their life too. A lot of people play different instruments and they square dance. They're really good dancers. They can dance all night, so that was fun as well.
阿比德米:他們有一種很像摔跤的遊戲。他們有很多需要身體接觸的遊戲,比如在地上摔跤,或者在特定時間內讓腿保持某種姿勢,他們的遊戲需要力量和耐力,他們還有很多要用到骰子的遊戲,這些遊戲可以贏得獎品。我認為這些遊戲都是為了度過漫長冬季而設計的,這樣他們就能在冬季待在室內,讓自己享受放鬆和娛樂,因為以前他們沒有電視或其他娛樂活動,也沒有網路,當然現在他們也能上網了,所以他們要準備很多遊戲,讓自己享受娛樂時光。音樂在他們的生活中發揮了很大的作用。許多人會演奏不同的樂器,他們還會跳方塊舞。他們的舞跳得非常好。他們可以一整夜都跳舞,那也很有趣。
Todd: Oh wow, sounds like a great place.
託德:哇哦,聽起來真是個不錯的地方。
Abidemi: Yes, it was.
阿比德米:對,沒錯。
Todd: So do they have their own type of instruments? Their own traditional instruments?
託德:那他們有自己的樂器嗎?他們有傳統樂器嗎?
Abidemi: I would say no. The instruments that I saw were more things that had been brought up to them, for example the fiddle, guitar, stuff like that. Thinking back on it now, maybe there were one or two things that they had made, but I didn't feel like, I can't really remember the name. I didn't really remember the names, so.
阿比德米:我想應該沒有。我看到的樂器都是其他人帶給他們的,比如小提琴、吉他等等。回想一下,也許有一兩種樂器是他們自己製造的,不過我不記得那些樂器的名字了。我不記得了。
Todd: Nice, anyway, thanks for sharing.
託德:好,沒關係,謝謝你的分享。
Abidemi: My pleasure.
阿比德米:這是我的榮幸。
Out of Country 出國
Doron: So Pernais, Jamaica's quite a small country, right?
多倫:佩納斯,牙買加是一個非常小的國家,對吧?
Pernais: It is.
佩納斯:沒錯。
Doron: What's the population? Not exactly, just more or less.
多倫:牙買加有多少人口?不用準確數字,差不多就行。
Pernais: 2.7 million
佩納斯:270萬。
Doron: Okay, that's pretty small. Do you have a problem with people leaving, like for university or of to get better jobs going to other countries?
多倫:好,那太少了。那牙買加有沒有很多人離開,比如去其他國家留學或尋找更好的工作?
Pernais: Yes, a lot of people leave, but I don't know if it's so much a problem because Jamaicans have been migrating for decades now. A lot of people don't know that half of the Jamaican population actually lives outside of Jamaica.
佩納斯:有,許多人都離開了牙買加,不過我不知道這算不算嚴重的問題,因為數十年來牙買加人一直在移民。許多人都不知道,其實牙買加有一半人口生活在其他國家。
Doron: Half?
多倫:一半?
Pernais: Yes.
佩納斯:對。
Doron: So that means there's like 5.4 million Jamaicans?
多倫:這意味著牙買加實際上有540萬人?
Pernais: Yes.
佩納斯:對。
Doron: And only half of them live in Jamaica?
多倫:只有一半人生活在牙買加國內?
Pernais: Yes. Possibly.
佩納斯:對,大概是。
Doron: Where do they usually go?
多倫:那他們通常會去哪些國家?
Pernais: Most Jamaicans that migrate go to America.
佩納斯:大多數牙買加人會移民到美國。
Doron: 'Cause it's so close.
多倫:因為非常近。
Pernais: Yes. And because they have family members there. Maybe. And other people go to Canada and the U.K., for example.
佩納斯:對。而且他們有家人在美國。可能是這樣。其他牙買加人會移民去加拿大和英國。
Doron: Do you get a lot of immigration? Do you get many people moving to Jamaica to live from other places?
多倫:那移民到牙買加的人多嗎?從其他國家移居到牙買加的人多不多?
Pernais: Recently, there has been an increase in that. People coming from other Caribbean islands, especially with the situation, the economic situation in Haiti these days. A lot of Haitians actually come over to Jamaica to find work, and, you know, to... just to, just for a better life, really.
佩納斯:最近移民到牙買加的人有所增加。基本上都是來自其他加勒比島國的人,尤其是最近海地的經濟情況令人堪憂。許多海地人來牙買加找工作,只是為了過更好的生活。
Doron: Is it very close?
多倫:牙買加離海地近嗎?
Pernais: It is very close. It is quite close.
佩納斯:非常近。很近。
Doron: How do they usually get to Jamaica?
多倫:他們通常怎麼去牙買加?
Pernais: By boat.
佩納斯:坐船。
Doron: So...
多倫:那……
Pernais: Which is quite dangerous, but...
佩納斯:那非常危險,不過……
Doron: Yeah, I hear a lot of it in history the last couple of decades of boat people, right? But you don't often hear about Haitian boat people. Usually people getting in boats and trying to get to the States, right?
多倫:對,我聽說過去幾十年來有很多乘船出逃的難民,對吧?不過倒是不常聽到從海地乘船出逃的難民。通常人們都會嘗試坐船偷渡到美國去,對吧?
Pernais: Yes. But I guess Jamaica's closer, so they go for Jamaica.
佩納斯:對。不過我想牙買加離得更近,所以他們選擇去牙買加。
Doron: Yeah. What kind of jobs do people go for when they get to Jamaica?
多倫:好。那他們抵達牙買加以後通常會找什麼樣的工作?
Pernais: Well, a lot of them end up working in bars and restaurants, and... yeah, just jobs like that.
佩納斯:許多人會在酒吧和餐廳工作,基本上就是這種工作。
Doron: I guess there's a lot of tourists in Jamaica?
多倫:我想有很多人去牙買加旅遊吧?
Pernais: There are quite a lot of tourists.
佩納斯:來牙買加旅遊的人很多。
Doron: So there must be a lot of jobs in the tourism industry.
多倫:那旅遊業一定有很多工作崗位。
Pernais: Yes. Always.
佩納斯:對,一直有。
Brain Drain 人才流失
Doron: In England I don't think we have much of a problem with brain drain, but I think we have, like an internal problem maybe, like all of the best jobs, or at least the best paying jobs, seem to be in London. So like, a lot of people have to move to London if they want to do the job they're interested in, and it just makes London really crowded and expensive because everybody has to live there, it seems.
多倫:我認為我們英國沒有什麼人才流失的問題,不過我們有內部問題,比如所有的好工作或至少是工資高的工作看起來都在倫敦。所以,如果人們想做感興趣的工作,他們就會搬去倫敦,這樣一來倫敦就變得非常擁擠,而且物價昂貴,因為所有人都要在那裡生活。
Pernais: Sounds like Kingston.
佩納斯:聽起來和金斯敦很像。
Doron: Really?
多倫:是嗎?
Pernais: Yes.
佩納斯:對。
Doron: Everybody moves to Kingston?
多倫:在牙買加,所有人都會搬去金斯敦嗎?
Pernais: Everybody's moving from rural areas to Kingston.
佩納斯:所有人都從鄉村地區搬去金斯敦。
Doron: What's the population of Kingston now, do you know?
多倫:你知道金斯敦現在有多少人口嗎?
Pernais: I think it's about a half a million.
佩納斯:我想大概有50萬人。
Doron: Half a million. And was it much smaller before?
多倫:50萬。以前人口要少很多嗎?
Pernais: I think it was because a lot of people lived out in the countryside, because farming was very profitable, maybe, some decades ago. But now that, you know, technology is changing everything, people want, like, office jobs and they want to earn more, so lots of people actually move into the city areas now.
佩納斯:我想是的,因為以前有許多人生活在鄉村,大約幾十年前,務農能掙很多錢。不過現在,科技改變了一切,人們想做辦公室工作,想掙更多錢,所以許多人搬到城市去了。
Doron: Yeah, I think technology in the near future might actually help to stop that because you can pretty much do most jobs online from anywhere. It's like, personally, I wouldn't want to live in London. I'd rather live somewhere a little more rural, more peaceful, cheaper, and be able to do my job online. So maybe that's something that'll change in the near future.
多倫:對,我認為在不久的將來,科技可能有助於改變這種情況,因為無論你在任何地方,大部分工作都可以在網上做。就我個人來說,我不想在倫敦生活。我更想在鄉村生活,在更寧靜、物價更便宜的地方生活,我可以在網上做工作。那可能是不久的將來會發生的改變。
Pernais: Hopefully.
佩納斯:希望如此。
Doron: Are you from Kingston?
多倫:你來自金斯敦嗎?
Pernais: I am.
佩納斯:對。
Doron: Are you actually from the middle of Kingston? I remember you have a town with a really cool name, right?
多倫:你來自金斯敦市中心?我記得有一個城鎮有一個很酷的名字,對吧?
Pernais: I'm not from the middle of Kingston. I'm from... just outside city center.
佩納斯:我不是來自金斯敦市中心。我來自市中心外的郊區。
Doron: How far outside city center?
多倫:離市中心有多遠?
Pernais: 8 miles from Kingston.
佩納斯:離金斯敦大約有8英里。
Doron: And what's the name of your hometown.
多倫:你家鄉是哪裡?
Pernais: My hometown is called Bull Bay.
佩納斯:我的家鄉是公牛灣。
Doron: Bull Bay?
多倫:公牛灣?
Pernais: Yes.
佩納斯:對。
Doron: I thought it was called "8 miles from Kingston".
多倫:我以為是“離金斯敦8英里”。
Pernais: Sometimes they call it that.
佩納斯:有時他們也這麼叫。
Doron: Were you kidding me when you said that?
多倫:你這麼說是在和我開玩笑嗎?
Pernais: No, the bigger part of it is called Bull Bay and then that's subdivided into 8 miles, 9 miles, 7 miles.
佩納斯:沒有,統稱為公牛灣,不過可以細分為8英里、9英里和7英里。
Doron: So place names outside of Kingston are actually named after how far they are from Kingston.
多倫:金斯敦郊區的名字是以它們和金斯敦的距離命名的。
Pernais: Yes.
佩納斯:對。
Doron: That's one of the coolest things I've ever heard. I live 8 miles from Kingston. Where do you live? I live in 12 miles from London. That's a great name.
多倫:那是我聽過的最酷的事情之一。我生活在離金斯敦8英里處。你住在哪裡?我住在離倫敦12英里處。那是個不錯的名字。
Pernais: Or sometimes it's shortened to 8 miles.
佩納斯:有時可以簡稱為8英里。
Doron: Wow. Like in Detroit. Maybe that's what it means, in the movie.
多倫:哇哦。就像底特律一樣。也許在電影裡就是那個意思。
生活中練習的日常英語口語